Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Sunny Day in Puget Sound, gas prices climbing, and We have a Buddy50 scooter !!!

Well, it's been a while since my last post. A lot has transpired, such as Solyndra failing despite massive a massive Federal infusion of cash. Examples like this have my anti-alternative energy friends salivating and saying "I told you so" !!! On the positive side Tesla released the Model S to production, and most of the reviews have been positive. I was also given a new Microsoft Surface RT tablet for Christmas, by my wonderful wife [Thank You Honey !!!], and now I'm re-energized to put my alternative transportation business plan into full swing. My wonderful wife also gave me a GoPro Hero2 Outdoor Edition action video camera for my Birthday last fall, so I've been out testing that for the second time today. I mounted it on the top of my older HJC motorcycle helmet, and while the mounting bracket comes with a very strong peel and stick 3M brand adhesive pad, I'm just a bit leery of the long term adhesion of the adhesive pad alone. So, I went to McLendon Hardware in Woodinville and got some of the tiniest screws I could find, and drilled 4 tiny holes threw the slanted corners on the rectangular, curved plastic mounting bracket, and screwed it into the helmet shell. As the holes are so tiny and don't go more than an 1/8" into the shell, I'm almost 100% certain this engineering project will not compromise the integrity of the helmet's ability to protect my melon in a crash [not that I'm going to crash].

So, now onto the scooter. Genuine Scooter Company Buddy50 [that's right, 50cc!]. Technically, this is my wife's scooter, as the grand plan was for her to ride it to and from work during the spring and summer months. After all it gets over 100 mpg [verified by me in actual use]. The dealer recommends 92 or higher octane gas [premium], but even when gas goes over $4 a gallon again this summer, it will still cost just $0.04x per mile !!! Lynnwood Cycle Barn sold us our Buddy50 for just $1,499.99, which was $500 off MSRP. So this little beauty goes 42 mph, and cost us less than many of the fancy bicycles you see on the Burke Gilman trail. It has loads of under seat storage, and we bought a very affordable rear rack so we can bungee cord on even more groceries if need be.

Here are some pictures of our little wonder below:






No comments:

Post a Comment